Branche Zakelijke dienstverlening
Growing urban population and economy increases the exposure to floods and droughts. Climate change will increase this even more. Do you want to contribute to decrease the risk of extreme events for society? We are looking for a Java Developer who is ready to contribute to our real-time flood forecasting software Delft-FEWS. For our Deltares Software Centre we are looking for a (medior) Java Developer with database skills.
Deltares delivers knowledge that makes a difference through high-quality, validated and user-friendly software that is continuously developed. Our software is leading on a global scale and is applied by engineering firms, governments and knowledge institutes. The software is used for solving societal issues such as the consequences of flooding, sea level rise and coastal development, but also for the design of flood defenses, land reclamation, water distribution and energy transition.
The software is developed by the Deltares Software Centre (DSC) unit. Within this unit, the operational forecasting system Delft-FEWS is being developed. Delft-FEWS is a Java based, client-server application aiming to provide forecasts and early warnings for flood and drought events and reservoir management. Forecasting systems based on Delft-FEWS are operational in more than 45 countries. Besides the forecasting system itself, the Delft-FEWS development team also covers the development and maintenance of side-applications of Delft-FEWS: the Open Archive and Delft-FEWS web services.
What can you expect as a (medior) Java Developer?
- You develop robust, high-performing, user-friendly scientific software according to the proven methods, techniques and tools;
- You contribute to the expansion and improvement of the operational forecasting system Delft-FEWS and its side-applications;
- You work together with experienced, scientific software engineers and specialists.
- You are also involved in Support & Maintenance activities;
- You explore the possibilities of data science and new technologies, such as cloud computing, for applications in delta technology.
What do we expect from you as a (medior) Java Developer?
- You have an MSc or Higher Education diploma in Computer Science (or a similar course) and at least 3-5 years of experience with software development;
- You have excellent knowledge of and experience with Java (11), XML and IntelliJ and you are familiar with development tools like TeamCity, Junit and SVN;
- You have a proven affinity and skills with respect to (large) databases like PostgreSQL, Oracle and MS SQL Server;
- You like to work with a complex and challenging code base;
- You have the ambition to develop high-quality software in a scientific environment;
- You are result-oriented and are happy to commit, together with a team, to the set deadline;
- You are eager to learn new technologies and from experienced colleagues;
- You have good social and communication skills;
- You can work independently, but you are also a team player;
- You are eager to develop yourself and reflect upon your performance;
- You have an excellent command of the English language.
Working at Deltares
Deltares is an independent knowledge institute in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Deltares works on smart innovations, solutions and applications for people, the environment and society, both in our home country and internationally. In doing so, we aim to develop knowledge, innovative products, services and software and to connect our knowledge to that of others and make these available to others.
Our software is used worldwide to advise governments and the business community on the physical condition and possible control measures of deltas, coastal and river areas. For example, we develop early warning systems and simulation software for managing floods. Deltares sets a high standard for the quality of its knowledge and advice. Our core business is Enabling Delta Life.
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging work environment. Your personal development and building on your CV is important to us. We offer excellent training opportunities. Future growth is possible, for example in the project team as scrum master, architect or project manager, but also in the field of research or science.
We offer special facilities on our campus, such as daily lunchtime lectures, the Delta Flume (where high waves can be generated) and our iD-lab (an interactive data research laboratory). Our terms and conditions of employment are in line with the market, with a good pension scheme and 34 vacation days.
Has this vacancy aroused your interest and do your qualities match the job profile? Apply directly on https://www.deltares.nl/en/careers/medior-java-developer-database-skills/ by uploading your CV and motivation letter before 27 January 2020. Only applications via our website will be considered.
For more information, please contact Gerard van der Kolff (Head of Department SDI – Software, Data management and Innovation, +31622808065) or Gerben Boot (Delft-FEWS Product Manager, +31620753451).
If this job description does not suit you, but you know someone who fits perfectly in the outlined profile, please feel free to forward this vacancy.
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated.