Geotechnical Research Engineer I
Date: Oct 17, 2019
Location: Delft, NL, 2628 XK
Company: Bentley Systems
At Plaxis, we design and offer software and services for geotechnical engineering. The Plaxis team is involved in applied research, product definition, software development, documentation and high-end services related to the PLAXIS software for applications in soils and rocks. Our Competence Centre Geo-engineering contributes directly and indirectly to the development of the advanced PLAXIS software products and the fulfilment of user’s needs.
The Research Engineer will be responsible for the necessary applied (analytical and numerical) research, specification, documentation, verification and validation of PLAXIS features, related to the use of the software in various practical applications in geotechnical engineering, such as dams and dikes, tunnels, foundations, excavations and underground structures. Part of the activities of the Research Engineer will involve programming activities (using Python or other languages such as Fortran, C or C++).
Performing applied geotechnical research projects that may involve (but not limited to):
- Implementation, validation, verification, operationalisation of soil/rock constitutive models.
- Participation in the various steps of the development process of new features needed for geotechnical analysis and design: Specification, elaboration, testing and verification of new features from an engineering viewpoint.
- Elaboration of verification and validation examples / case studies in geotechnics using different analytical and numerical techniques, in combination with field- and lab test data.
- Programming (in Fortran, C++, Python or otherwise) couplings between PLAXIS and other (Bentley) civil engineering software products, to (automatically) generate and exchange models, results and other data, especially related to soil-structure interaction.
- Participation in internal evaluation processes (Sprint reviews) and other meetings on behalf of the Competence Centre Geo-Engineering.
- Documentation and presentation of research results in general; both internal documentation and external communication for users and at conferences.
- Geotechnical support to other departments within Bentley.
What You Bring To The Team:
- PhD or MSc in Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering or Civil Engineering, with proven background in soil/rock mechanics and/or foundation engineering.
- Clear research interest with a drive to apply this in the engineering practice.
- Experience with numerical methods (FEM, FDM) and constitutive models for soil/rock.
- Programming knowledge and experience in Python and/or other languages such as Fortran, C, C++.
- Proficient in English (written and verbal).
- Communicative, analytical and didactical skills.
- Able to work in teams as well as autonomously.
- Experience in geo-engineering, consulting and design is appreciated.
Job Segment: Research Engineer, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics, Engineer, Geology, Engineering